|Click to email|
PO Box 3957
Tupelo, MS 38803-3957
3206 W Jackson ST
Tupelo, MS 38801-6735
View hours ↓
Monday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
EJ & WJ Lay Servant Ministries School
Saturday, March 4, 2023
- 7:30 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. - Sign in and registration
- 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Class
Cost: $40 to attend each class - lunch and books are included
Who should attend Lay Servant Ministries School? Lay Servants are to serve the local church or charge in any way in which their witness or leadership and service inspire the laity to a deeper commitment to Christ and to more effective discipleship. Participants often include local church Lay Leaders and any laypersons who have served well and are willing to take the next step in service, either through certification as a Certified Lay Servant, a Certified Lay Speaker, or a Certified Lay Minister.
What courses are offered?
Lay Servant Ministry Basic Course (limited to 25 participants)
- Basic Course taught by Rev. Barbara Taylor (Richland UMC) and Rev. Jon McCoy (Christ UMC). In the Lay Servant Ministries Basic Course, the course authors discuss processes to help individuals discern and respond to God’s particular call on their lives. They encourage each person to recognize and employ his or her spiritual gifts for the church to become what God intended it to be. This course invites participants to consider the importance of exercising servant leadership, developing future leaders, remaining rooted in consistent spiritual practices, and being part of a group that holds members accountable in discipleship. It offers guidelines for optimal communication in leadership and presents numerous types of ministries in which lay servants may assume roles. Throughout the study, thoughtful questions provide excellent opportunities for individual consideration and group discussion.
Advanced Course Options (Minimum of 6 and maximum of 15 participants in each course)
- Option1: Soul Reset: Breakdown, Breakthrough, and the Journey to Wholeness. Taught by Rev. Sapada Thomas (Central UMC) and Rosalind Thomas (Laity at Anderson UMC) This course introduces a six-week study for anyone who moves at breakneck speed through their daily lives, often relying only on their own strength to bring God’s kingdom on earth. Jesus shows us a different way—an easier, unforced rhythm of what kingdom living looks like. It’s a balance of work, rest, play, worship, exercise, and eating well—spiritual practices that keep our souls hydrated and healthy as we do the work of the church in the world. To learn more about this course click here.
- Option 2: Lord Teach Us How to Pray. Taught by Rev. Andy Stoddard (St.Matthews UMC) and Rev. Maxine Bolden (Chaplain, Tougaloo College) To learn more about this course click here.
- Option 3: Worshiping with United Methodists. Taught by Rodger Wasson (Laity Member at Madison UMC) This course will use Hoyt Hickman's popular book Worshiping with United Methodists Revised Edition: A Guide for Pastors and Church Leaders. To learn more about this book click here.